Joel Braun 2001-14

Your Name

Joel Braun

Gender

Male

Which describes your role at Mars Hill?

Group Leader (any leadership role)

What Mars Hill location(s) did you attend?

Ballard, Portland, Shoreline

What years were you involved / attending?

2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

How did you first hear about Mars Hill?

I attended once or twice when I first moved to Seattle and it was at first pres, then did not attend any more. Went to another church and feel as though I was saved there as an adult. That church refused to do pre marital counseling for my wife and I as we hadn't been dating a year. Found a different pastor and then also found mars hill again.

What was the circumstance of your first time attending Mars HIll?

My circumstance was that I needed a church in my life that had good teaching and the sermons were hitting it quite often for me and allowing me to grow and shape my understanding.

What were your first impressions?

The teaching was great, the music was amazing

Why was Mars Hill your church home?

Because I was narrow minded in thinking I couldn't find another church family closer to home. I was convicted of that and why we left before its collapse.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a positive impact on you?

I have a wonderful relationship with my wife that we received a lot of great teaching from people through mh. I have 3 boys who challenge me, but I wouldn't have had them at my age had it not been for an amazing sermon from Paul Petry.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a negative impact on you?

The outcome has me sad and the lies and bullshit that surfaced has me frustrated. My bitterness is no longer and by God's grace I'm free.

What would you like to have changed about Mars Hill?

Leadership was distant and relationships were shallow. Salaries were ridiculous.

Which describes you?

I left Mars Hill prior to closure.

Please describe why you left Mars Hill and what that experience was like.

I left because we wanted community with those we attend church with. MH Portland was a 20-35 min drive. We found a great church less than 10 min away and have community there as well.

How would you describe the reason for Mars Hill's closure to an outsider.

It all boils down to Sin and an unrepentant leader who refused to be under anyone's authority.

What's changed for you since your time at Mars Hill came to an end?

Church, my opinion of it and certainly my trust in leadership is a bit more reserved.