Member - Ballard 1996-2014

Gender

Female

Which describes your role at Mars Hill?

Regular Attender, Member

What Mars Hill location(s) did you attend?

Ballard

What years were you involved / attending?

1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2012, 2013, 2014

How did you first hear about Mars Hill?

My boyfriend at the time brought me to Mars Hill. He went to church with Mark Driscoll in Pullman, WA.

What was the circumstance of your first time attending Mars HIll?

I had been attending a dying church of a bunch of older people in Seattle so it was exciting to see a church with so many young people.

What were your first impressions?

I like Mark Driscoll I liked his sense of humor and he was friendly. It seemed like a Biblically sound church. I didn't care for the music but it grew on me.

Why was Mars Hill your church home?

My boyfriend was committed to MH because he had known Mark Driscoll since he was in college.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a positive impact on you?

I learned that we are saved by grace. I stopped being legalistic.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a negative impact on you?

My boyfriend turned ex husband treated me badly using teaching he picked up at Mars Hill. I never wanted to serve because I didn't fit the cookie cutter what Mars Hill was looking for in serving

What would you like to have changed about Mars Hill?

I wish Mark Driscoll had been less hard on women. I wish my ex had not gone off the deep end with the teachings of Mars Hill.

Which describes you?

I left Mars Hill prior to closure.

Please describe why you left Mars Hill and what that experience was like.

I left MH first time because it was my ex husband idea and I came back in December 2012 but left again because of the  controversial stuff coming out of Mars Hill in March 2014. I don't recall which one because there were so many.

How would you describe the reason for Mars Hill's closure to an outsider.

Very sad and Mars Hill didn't have to close

What's changed for you since your time at Mars Hill came to an end?

I'm in a healthy church and I'm thriving.