Regular Attender - Bellevue, Downtown Seattle 2012-14

Gender

Female

Which describes your role at Mars Hill?

Regular Attender

What Mars Hill location(s) did you attend?

Bellevue, Downtown Seattle

What years were you involved / attending?

2012, 2013, 2014

How did you first hear about Mars Hill?

I had family attend.

What was the circumstance of your first time attending Mars HIll?

I went to church with my brother and his now wife - then girlfriend.

What were your first impressions?

Good music. Gospel preaching. Loud.

Why was Mars Hill your church home?

Because I had recently moved and knew someone going there. I didn't like going to new churches by myself.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a positive impact on you?

It really wasn't a positive place to for me. I learned some songs that I love to this day, and I was baptized there, so I guess those would be the positives.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a negative impact on you?

I probably ended up walking out on Mark about 5 times because of how he approached a few topics including mental illness, sexuality, and what it means to be a man.  I found him to be insensitive and verbally abusive at times. I didn't really get involved so I didn't experience some of the negatives I've heard other people share.  It was a big church that made it easy to hide, and I didn't really let many people get to know me.  

What would you like to have changed about Mars Hill?

You know, I think a healthier leader/leaders would have made a big difference.  There were a lot of people in that church who really loved Jesus and that was cool, but I don't think it was a healthy church because of the leadership.

Which describes you?

I left Mars Hill prior to closure.

Please describe why you left Mars Hill and what that experience was like.

Well, I knew that I would never be comfortable being a member at Mars Hill. Then things just kind of happened. The car I drove needed some repairs and I had a loaner, but didn't want to drive a bigger, loaner car that I didn't know in the parking garage. So I ended up going to a different church that week, and just kept going there.

How would you describe the reason for Mars Hill's closure to an outsider.

I think it would depend whether I was talking to an unbeliever or another Christian. It would vary.

What's changed for you since your time at Mars Hill came to an end?

I love the church I'm currently going to.  It's smaller which kind of forced me into being known by other people. I've gotten involved at a small group and I help out with the kid's ministry.  I don't know that any of my main beliefs regarding faith have changed, but my understanding of what it means to love and be loved has grown. My understanding of healthy community has grown.  I have a pastor who talks about the same issues and more (sexuality, gender, mental illness, biblical marriages and parenting, etc.) from a reformed, fairly conservative perspective, but I've never felt the urge to walk out on him because he talks about it in a way that is empathetic/compassionate/loving/etc.