Barry - Downtown Seattle 2012-14

Your Name

Barry

Gender

Male

Which describes your role at Mars Hill?

Regular Attender

What Mars Hill location(s) did you attend?

Downtown Seattle

What years were you involved / attending?

2012, 2013, 2014

How did you first hear about Mars Hill?

It was recommended to me by a pastor in Denver

What was the circumstance of your first time attending Mars Hill?

I attended the Ballard location for the first time.  All I could remember was that the church was big.

What were your first impressions?

It was in mind too big and impersonal for my taste.

Why was Mars Hill your church home?

Over the next couple of years, I determined I wanted to be a part of the church, so I started attending the (then Belltown) downtown location.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a positive impact on you?

I served in the children's ministry.  I met a bunch of lasting friends that he either led or been in community groups, or had been in the Children's ministry.  It was wonderful sharing God's work with fellow believers.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a negative impact on you?

It became too big, too fast.  And I really did not like the pre-recorded sermons.  Where Mark taught from Ballard or Belleview, or overseas.

What would you like to have changed about Mars Hill?

Have each location doing live-preaching.

Which describes you?

I left Mars Hill prior to closure.

Please describe why you left Mars Hill and what that experience was like.

I just did not trust Mark.  He was too distant.  I was also spiritually lazy.  

How would you describe the reason for Mars Hill's closure to an outsider.

I really was not devastated.  I left before I invested too much time or energy into the church.

What's changed for you since your time at Mars Hill came to an end?

I started attending Downtown Cornerstone Church.  I got involved there.

Please write anything else you'd like to add.

I am saddened that MH Church crumbled.  That Mark Driscoll remains unrepentant (as far as I know).  It was a great church.  And it fell hard.  I pray for all who were hurt from the fall.