Grace Ruiz 2009-14

Your Name

Grace Ruiz

Gender

Female

Which describes your role at Mars Hill?

Regular Attender

What Mars Hill location(s) did you attend?

Bellevue, Portland

What years were you involved / attending?

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

How did you first hear about Mars Hill?

My husband and I were in a young married group at our church. We decided as a group to listen to the Song of Solomon sermon series that Mark Driscoll had online. My husband and I had never heard Pastor Mark preach before and immediately felt relieved to hear his openness on sex and marriage. I am a pastor's kid and my husband grew up in the church so we were excited to hear someone finally preach on something "real".

What was the circumstance of your first time attending Mars HIll?

My husband and I decided to try it out and went to the Redmond Campus at a funeral home. It was a little uncomfortable with standing room only :)

What were your first impressions?

It was the doctrine series and it was a great way to hear what the church believed.

Why was Mars Hill your church home?

We loved the people and the honesty of Pastor Mark. My husband loved that he didn't have to fit into the good little church boy suit and I loved seeing how openly Pastor Mark loved Grace and encouraged the husband's of the church to do the same.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a positive impact on you?

Everything. I learned my pastor was a human and thought of himself as such. It was mind blowing the first time Pastor Mark asked the church for forgiveness (the first time I witnessed it). I loved his humility and who he was came out on stage. Sometimes he was angry by what he saw and harsh but at least he didn't fake it like the majority of Christians and Pastors I grew up around.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a negative impact on you?

How people reacted to things when something would 'come out'. I was disappointed with all the people claiming to be Christians and posting up a storm on the Internet.

What would you like to have changed about Mars Hill?

I wish it hadn't grown so quickly. That they had put the brakes on.

Which describes you?

I stayed at Mars Hill through closure.

Please describe why you stayed at Mars Hill and what that experience was like.

It was hard knowing what Pastor Mark and his family were going through.

How would you describe the reason for Mars Hill's closure to an outsider.

They grew too fast without enough accountability.

What's changed for you since your time at Mars Hill came to an end?

Nothing,  we learned so much from Pastor Mark and will always be grateful for our time there.

Please write anything else you'd like to add.


Focus on the good in life and don't dwell on the bad.