Denise - Ballard, West Seattle 2006-14

Your Name

Denise

Gender

Female

Which describes your role at Mars Hill?

Group Leader (any leadership role)

What Mars Hill location(s) did you attend?

Ballard, West Seattle

What years were you involved / attending?

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

How did you first hear about Mars Hill?

A friend I trusted enjoyed going so i wanted to come.

What was the circumstance of your first time attending Mars HIll?

If I recall, I came when my daughter was on spring break from college and we both wanted to check it out along with a friend.

What were your first impressions?

I liked it. I thought the teaching was more transparent and redeeming. I liked that M.D. talked honestly to young men.

Why was Mars Hill your church home?

Again, I like the leaching and it was closer to home that my previous church. It did not seem quite as "religious'.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a positive impact on you?

It encouraged relationship and community and weekly midweek gatherings.

What about your time at Mars Hill has had a negative impact on you?

I was getting concerned when we kept purchasing/opening new locations. My general thought is that a slow and steady growth is more 'real'.
I also, at the end of learning of M.D.'s earnings, was/am seriously disturbed. I don't care how much  lead pastors around the country make, a pastor does not need that much. We work very hard for our salary and that was abuse.

What would you like to have changed about Mars Hill?

I would have liked to see the lead pastors at each location have more authority to make each location about us, our 'personality' for our area  and let them preach more.  

Which describes you?

I stayed at Mars Hill through closure.

Please describe why you stayed at Mars Hill and what that experience was like.

I loved the believers I had been in community with and I don't think walking away is right, not for me. I wanted to stay the course. Pastor David and the rest of our pastors, Pastor Bill and Pastor Cliff, did an amazing job of guiding us through the process.

How would you describe the reason for Mars Hill's closure to an outsider.

Just that we had a lead preaching pastor, M.D. that preached and taught well but decided he was above what the word taught and what he taught out of the word. That is was very unfortunate, and that I am glad he is gone due to this. He is unrepentant.

What's changed for you since your time at Mars Hill came to an end?

Just that I feel like my home church, Trinity W.Seattle really is home and I think that through challenging times it strengthens a home/family/church.

Please write anything else you'd like to add.

I am concerned that M.D. is still in ministry, but can give that over to the Lord. I am seriously disappointed in the money and the waste. But I truly can rest that this is in the Lord's hands. I am sorry for those who were treated poorly. I pray they are recovering and forgiving.